Sunday, November 18, 2007

Fever


Every time I finish a little quilt I think, "That was fun, but never again."

But look at this! Isn't she beautiful? I think I have the fever. Joelle Hoverson's book is really incredible - and just in time for the holidays.

Does anyone have any tips on prewashing fabric? I did this for the first time yesterday and spent an hour between the washing and drying cutting out the huge thread knots that developed in the wash and bound all my pieces into one huge ball of mess.

2 comments:

. . . said...

If you have a serger, you could do a super quick finish around the edges to prevent the nasty fraying. I've always used the serger and it only takes a few minutes (depending on the size of the fabric). I'm sure that a regular sewing machine zig-zag would work too. It seems silly to spend time finishing the edges of raw fabric, but I know all too well how a frayed ball of fabric can sour my day! Enjoy the fever. I don't quilt or knit, so I'm in awe and wonder of all you patiently crafty dolls out there in blogland! Have fun.

Sarah and Jack said...

I guess you could always use fray check before you wash, or maybe trying cutting with the pinking shears?

I usually do not prewash, but I like the puckery after effect of sewing then washing.

(I can't see your picture either!)